DNA Extraction Protocols for Campanulaceae

W M.M. Eddie WEDDIE at SRV0.BIO.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 18 09:51:17 CST 1997

Can anyone suggest an improvement to the standard
Doyle & Doyle (1987) protocol for the removal of
polysaccharides. The Campanulaceae seem to be
particularly bedevilled by these and although I
have successfully extracted and amplified good
DNA from about two dozen genera, the whole procedure
is time-consuming and decidedly unpredictable.
I have tried precipitation with 2.5M NaCl in addition
to other protocols such as Dellaporta (which
involves chloroform/phenol extraction) with only
marginal improvement.I'm still left with a
gelatinous mass (or mess !).

Bill Eddie

William M.M.Eddie
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology