Valid Publication of New Taxa

Julia Playford J.Playford at BOTANY.UQ.EDU.AU
Wed Feb 26 13:10:50 CST 1997

I have one brief, and perhaps obvious, comment on the thesis as an appropriate medium for
publication of *any* information, including taxonomic.  I have recently tried to obtain
copies of a thesis in Australia (at ANU actually) via interlibrary loan and found that they
were unable to be borrowed.  The abstract and contents pages could be photocopied for me
but that was really quite useless if I wanted to assess the validity of the student's
conclusions.  Presumably this is because they only have one copy and are unable to obtain
another copy if it is lost.

As a supervisor I also agree with Rod S's comments.

Julia
Dr Julia Playford
Lecturer
Department of Botany