valid publication

Alan Harvey aharvey at AMNH.ORG
Thu Feb 27 11:41:04 CST 1997

Joseph Laferriere writes:

>... It would still be a good idea to submit the
>descriptions to a journal so that the information will become
>more widely disseminated, but the Latin description and the
>formal type designation can go in the thesis instead of the
>journal. The type can still of course be mentioned in the journal.

I don't think many journals see their mission as the broader dissemination
of already published material. In fact, that's probably a reliable basis
for journals returning a manuscript unreviewed. I'd guess that formally
elevating the status of a thesis from "unpublished" to "published" would
likely change a journal's perceptions, and not favorably, of a
thesis-derived manuscript.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan W. Harvey (aharvey at amnh.org)