Names in titles

richard a fagerlund fagerlun at UNM.EDU
Fri Feb 28 06:56:40 CST 1997

I would like the opinion of anyone or everyone who describes new taxa.
The question came up with insects but it probably relevant to any taxa
zoological or botanical.

I was told by one reviewer that the name of a new taxa should never
appear in the title of the paper or even the abstract or introduction.
The rationale was that the taxa is not officially named until the description
later in the paper and the name cannot be used until officially described.
I thought that was a bit silly.

I would welcome any comments or opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Fagerlund                    Mail: 993 Orchid SW
University of New Mexico                   Rio Rancho, NM 87124
E-mail: fagerlun at unm.edu            Phone: (505) 896-2524