herbarium acknowledgement

John Nelson NELSON at CLS.BIOL.SC.EDU
Thu Feb 6 13:19:23 CST 1997

TH 6 Feb 115pm

Friends:

    Anita Cholewa is having a problem with proper recognition for MIN
in this matter:

> In at least one instance in the past, people have
> come in and photographed specimens to help in
> identify things but then I discovered the images were used in
> a type of book that was distributed to county extension agents,
> reservation biologists, forest biologists, etc.  The
> Herbarium was not acknowledged or mentioned in any way in
> the book (i.e., no credit whatsoever) and when the photos`
> were first made, no mention was made of possible use in books,
> pamphlets, brochures, whatever.

    I presume that in the case at hand, involving a state agency,
there is no monetary return for provoding the service. Thgus, it
appears that the most the herbarium could get out of the arrangement
is proper citation as a vital source of information. I would
recommend that you get the department head or Dean to GET IT IN
WRITING that the herbarium WILL be cited. That would be good for
starters, anyway.

    Later John

John B. Nelson
Curator of the Herbarium (USCH)