Nomenclature: botanical tradition?

Joseph Kirkbride jkirkbri at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Fri Feb 21 12:40:04 CST 1997

The current ICBN, i.e. the Tokyo edition of 1994, has settled the most
most contentious generic genders by fiat:

  62.1 A generic name retains the gender assigned by botanical tradition,
  irrespective of classical usage or the author's original usage.  A
  generic name without a botanical tradition retains the gender assigned
  by its author.

  Note 1. Botanical tradition usually maintains the classical gender of a
  Greek or Latin word, when this was well established.

  *Ex. 1. In accordance with botanical tradition, Adonis L., Atriplex L.,
  Diospyros L., Hemerocallis L., Orchis L., Stachys L. and Strychnos L.
  must be treated as feminine while Lotus L. and Melilotus L. must be
  treated as masculine.  Eucalyptus L'Her., which lacks a botanical
  tradition, retains the feminine gender assigned by its author.
  Although their ending suggests masculine gender, Cedrus Trew and Fagus
  L., like most other classical tree names, were traditionally treated as
  feminine and thus retain that gender; similarly, Rhamnus L. is
  feminine, despite the fact that Linnaeus assigned it masculaine gender.
  Phyteuma L. (n), Sicyos (m), and Erigeron L. (m) are other names for
  which botanical tradition has reestablished the classical gender
  despite another choice by Linnaeus.

The asterisk preceeding Example 1 is very impotant.  It "denotes a 'voted
Example' (see Preface, p. x)."  "Whereas the Editorial Committee normally
has the power to delete, modify or add Examples in order to clarify the
Code, this power does not extend to voted Examples, which the Editorial
Committee is obligated to retain, whether or not they actually exemplify
the rules."  What this means is that Example 1 above was voted on and
approved in a Nomenclature Section of an International Botanical
Congress.  It can NOT be changed or removed except by another vote in a
Nomenclature Section of another International Botanical Congress.  So,
the gender of the genera cited in Example 1 above are FIXED.

For Lotus, I am happy with this.  When Linnaeus treated Lotus in Sp. pl.,
some species were feminine and others were masculine.  The gender of
Lotus has been argued without end for 200 years.  It is now settled as
masculine.

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr.
USDA, Agricultural Research Service
Systematic Botany and Mycology Laboratory
Room 304, Building 011A, BARC-West
Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2350 USA
Voice telephone: 301-504-9447
FAX: 301-504-5810