clones of fathers

Thomas Pape thomas.pape at NRM.SE
Tue Jun 17 08:43:36 CDT 1997

At 23.02 1997-06-16 -0400, Rodham E. Tulloss wrote:

[speciation event occurs with instantaneous reproductive isolation]

>Are we to say that because we can distinguish them
>from the small (but still growing) group of different-colored offspring,
>even though no characters of the preceding taxon have changed (none...no
>matter what method of classification is used), that we must consider the
>parents and their ilk ALSO a new species?

Of course we need not give "the parents and their ilk" a new NAME. And of
course we cannot depict such a situation in a fully dichotomous cladogram
with all 'species' being terminal. But we can use cladograms and their
associated evidence of DESCENT WITH (or without) MODIFICATION as the factual
basis for 'evolutionary trees' when dealing with speciation scenarios.

Thomas Pape

Thomas Pape
Department of Entomology
Swedish Museum of Natural History       Voice: +46 8666 4094
Box 50007                               Fax:   +46 8666 4099
S - 104 05 Stockholm, SWEDEN            e-mail: thomas.pape at nrm.se

WWW URL:                       http://www.nrm.se/en/pape.html.en