paraphyly

Thu Jun 12 15:37:28 CDT 1997

At 10:00 PM 06-12-97 +0200, Bengt Oxelman wrote:

>This is nonsense and the result of a confusion of species as taxa (Linnean
>categories) and species as evolutionary units. With this reasoning there
>would be no monophyletic taxa at all.

Exactly my point!!  Monophyly in the strict cladistic sense (i.e.,
holophyly) is as unobtainable as  perfection.  It simply does not exist nor
endure in the real world.   To insist that our system of nomenclature
reflect a condition that seldom obtains in reality, now THAT is REAL nonsense!

And I don't know about you, but I TRY to make my species I recognize in
formal classification represent evolutionary units, whenever possible.

Thomas G. Lammers

Classification, Nomenclature, Phylogeny and Biogeography
of the Campanulaceae, s. lat.

Department of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive