An answer to paraphyly

Maureen Kearney mkearney at GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU
Tue Jun 17 11:09:11 CDT 1997

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Thomas G. Lammers wrote:

> I will never accept  that the evolution of a new species from an existing
> one somehow magically transforms what is left into a new species itself, any
> more than the simple death of individuals or extirpation of populations can
> transform what remains  into a new species.

Perhaps the problem is in thinking that the initial species must
transform. It's not that the initial species is TRANSFORMED into a new
species itself; it's that the initial species is no longer the SAME THING
as it was before the new population was removed from it.  It's like set
theory - when you remove set A from set B, set B is now something
different.

Maureen Kearney
George Washington University
Dept. of Biological Sciences