Capybaras was Re: multiple classification systems

Jacklyn L. Ryrie jryrie at IX.NETCOM.COM
Wed Jun 18 13:28:04 CDT 1997

And ew think we have truoble with Kashruth.....  :-)))
(Capybara is a large furry aquatic mammal like a cavie on guinea pig.... )
At 12:08 PM 06/17/97 +1000, John Trueman wrote:
>Re Barbara Ertter's example:
>>the historical fact of an early Pope declaring that capybara are "fish" for
>>the purpose of Friday abstinence from meat. This seems nonsensical to us ...
>>

>... and merely as an aside:
>To a biologist this should not seem nonsensical at all.  What is a human if
>not a scaleless, bipedal, terrestrial fish?

Ah, but to a cladist the fascinating part is not that the Pope declared
cabyparas to be fish, but rather that he excluded chickens, ducks, cows,
sheep, and pigs. :-)

Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu

--
Jacklyn L. Ryrie
Mid Kirk, Bower, Wick,