Scaevola

JeF Veldkamp VELDKAMP at RULRHB.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Jun 2 17:23:39 CDT 1997

Backer, in his monumental Explanatory Dictionary (Verklarend Woordenboek,
1936) writes that Scaevola was named after Gajus Mucius. After giving the
famous episode he continues: 'The limb of the corolla has the shape of an
extended hand; in the original species (and also in the Javanese S. frutescens)
the flowers are initially white and turn brown later, is if they were
scorched.

Hope this helps.

JeF Veldkamp

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will
eventually reproduce the entire works of William Shakespeare. Now, thanks
to the Internet, we know this is not true"  R. Wilensky, cited by New
Scientist, 10 May, 1997, p. 92-a