herbarium practices

Ann Pinzl apinzl at LAHONTAN.CLAN.LIB.NV.US
Mon Jun 9 09:00:27 CDT 1997

        This herbarium is fairly recent and thus has no history of former
practices to speak of -- yet, I have "reverted to sewing" primarily as
insurance against adhesive failure (am using methyl cellulose which
isn't very *grabby* and is unsuitable for over -the-top reinforcement).
There are a few particularly bulky specimens (e.g. cacti) which are sewn
only, while "fine"/delicate plants such as annuals aren't usually sewn and
are glued only.  Yes, it is time consuming and yes, I'm afraid that
occasionally there is some damage to the specimen during the process
(especially when the sheet is turned over to tie knot(s), however, I have
watched an experienced volunteer sew specimens [no earlier gluing] at the
Smithsonian and she did _not_ turn the sheets over and it didn't seem
that any damage was happening), but I don't think it (more) likely that
sewn specimens will suffer more than others as time progresses.
        Cloth tapes are also used as reinforcement, primarily for the
finer plants/parts. Another reason why sewing was initiated the
difficulty of applying straps in situations where there was a "wide" area
to be secured which was composed of several stems/branchlets that could
be individually fastened by sewing.
        Hope that may satisfy some of your questions.

     .:..     :.                   Ann Pinzl
     :-:  .:./             Department of Natural History
  .:.  .\./ :.                 Nevada State Museum
  :\  .: \/-:.               600 North Carson Street
  .:-\/ ./-:.                 Carson City, NV 89701
   .:_\/-.
_______\\_________         Phone: 702/687/4810, ext.  237
                               Fax  : 702/687/4168