Paraphyly

Fri Jun 13 08:29:21 CDT 1997

At 07:58 AM 06-13-97 -0700, Joseph E. Laferriere wrote:

> However, where Cronquist and I part company is when he
>argued in favor of accepting POLYphyletic taxa. In my opinion, that
>should never be done at any level.

Did he REALLY??  Man, I missed that!  And I find it hard to believe.   I
certainly consider polyphyletic taxa anathema, and can't believe Art
wouldn't have thought so, too.  Can you quote me chapter-and-verse on that?
I do recall him commenting on the idea of evolution across a broad front,
which I guess could be polyphyletic if broad enough.

Thomas G. Lammers

Classification, Nomenclature, Phylogeny and Biogeography
of the Campanulaceae, s. lat.

Department of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive