an answer to paraphyly

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Sun Jun 15 16:31:04 CDT 1997

At 10:08 AM 06/15/97 -0400, Robin Panza wrote:
> Cladists must give the parent taxon a new
>name, even though it hasn't changed, just because there is now a
differentiated
>offshoot somewhere.

I'm a cladist, and I don't. I substantially agree with what you say about
speciation in this post (in fact I teach it to my students), but I don't
think it has anything to do with the broader question of recognizing
paraphyletic groups, especially since the bulk of them show no evidence of
being the leftovers of a speciation event.

Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu