paraphyly

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Mon Jun 16 08:44:01 CDT 1997

At 02:37 PM 06/16/97 +0000, marc sosef wrote:
>Again, I would like to stress that, when you have all began to see that
>Hennig's ideas should be abandoned, you cannot discuss monophyletic
>classification within the context of Linnaean nomenclature.

Interesting. Because Hennig's view of speciation doesn't fit with current
understanding, "Hennig's ideas", presumably including all of cladistics,
"should be abandoned." And yet we still keep the system of Linnaeus and his
followers, despite the fact that Linnaeus, who believed in the separate
creation of species, had a concept of the very nature of variation that is
completely alien to most modern systematists.

Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu