Neat palaeovegetation maps on World Wide Web and Ring Sites

Gary Noonan carabid at MPM1.MPM.EDU
Wed Jun 25 10:57:14 CDT 1997

         Yesterday I came across some interesting World Wide Web sites that
may be of interest to Taxacom members. The first site listed below provides
text and maps for palaeovegetation of the world since the last glacial
maximum. It has an interesting and complete discussion of climate followed
by an extensive list of literature cited.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~tjms/adams1.html

REVIEW AND ATLAS OF PALAEOVEGETATION

    Preliminary land ecosystem maps of the world
                 since the Last Glacial Maximum.
Editor: J.M. Adams(1) and H. Faure(1).

Quaternary Environments Network (QEN)*

1. Laboratoire de Geologie du Quaternaire, CEREGE, Europole de l'Arbois,
B.P. 80, F-13545,
Aix-en-Provence Cedex 04, France.

* QEN participants are named in the text sections on each region. The views
expressed here, and the map
reconstructions, are ultimately the responsibility of the editors and do not
necessarily represent the views of the individual participants.
        The second site below provides more recently constructed (and
possibly more tentative) maps. It offers more maps than the above site. It
offers an interesting and complete discussion of climate that cites
references, but I haven't yet found a list of literature cited. Possibly the
references cited haven't been posted yet.

http://www.esd.ornl.gov/ern/qen/nerc.html
        New paleovegetation maps of the world at intervals since 18,000 14C
years B.P.
Compiled by Jonathan Adams, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National
                           Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831, USA
                      MAPS VERY PRELIMINARY - COMMENTS WELCOMED!

 The third site below appears to be a starting point to access additional
World Wide Web sites about the topics listed below. I visited it but found
the linkages to other sites were being worked on when I visited.

http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoRing.html
     The Paleo Ring is a Newly Developing collection of Websites and Pages
     that are devoted primarily to the promotion of Paleontology,
     Paleoanthropology, Prehistoric Archaeology, The Evolution of Behavior, and
     Evolutionary Biology in general.

         The maps on the first two sites are much more complete and
informative than anything I've found to date in printed literature. I think
I'll be using information from the sites in my research but haven't yet
decided how to cite the sites since they can change from minute to minute. I
printed out all the text and maps. They form an impressive array of information.

  * Gary Noonan, Curator of Insects, Milwaukee Public Museum  *
  * 800 W. Wells,  Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233 USA             *
  * and Adjunct Associate Professor of Zoology, University of *
  * Wisconsin-Milwaukee carabid at mpm1.mpm.edu                  *
  * voice (414) 278-2762  fax (414) 223-1396                  *