thesis publications

Bernard Landry blandry at NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Mar 1 17:15:10 CST 1997

Hi all,

I have been observing with interest the thread concerning the validity of
names published in theses.

I think that there are enough names published today in such a multitude of
journals, some of which being already hard to get to, that taxonomy
does not need the burden of the need to consider names in theses.

The "problem" of the publication costs is not a real problem to me. I have
been able to publish my dissertation (some 400 ms pages) at no cost in
the United States, even getting 20 or so free copies.  I know that this is
also possible in many European countries.

Also please consider the services provided by the Zoological Record. WOuld
they be willing to accept indexing names published in dissertations? How
would you know about a thesis if the contents is not indexed somewhere?

N'ouvrons pas cette boite de Pandore!

Salutations distinguees,

BERNARD LANDRY

Environmental Science, Policy
and Management
Division of Insect Biology
201 Wellman Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
U.S.A.

Tel.  (510) 642-7381 (office)
Tel.: (510) 642-7410 (lab, answering machine)
Tel.: (510) 486-0204 (home)
Fax.: (510) 642-7428

blandry at nature.berkeley.edu
www.cnr.berkeley.edu/sperlinglab/landry.html