Weights

Tom DiBenedetto tdib at UMICH.EDU
Fri Mar 7 12:15:24 CST 1997

, James Francis Lyons-Weiler wrote:

>The answer to the first question (does the parsimony algorithm reveal a
>truly spurious pattern) is, precisely, yes.
>How would it do that?  There exists for EVERY matrix (with variable
>states among taxa) a set of shortest trees.

First off, a set of shortest trees can mean a lot of trees. We have a
convention of calculating strict consensuses of sets of MP trees
which end up returning an unresolved topology for many such sets. The
more pointed question is whether random data ever returns single MP
trees, or sets that preserve resolution through strict consensus
calculations even for large data sets.