electronic publication

Una Smith una at DOLIOLUM.BIOLOGY.YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 25 19:17:27 CST 1997

Andrey Sharkov <Sharkov.1 at osu.edu> writes:

> Did anybody think why 99% of the participants in this discussion are form
> the United States or Western Europe. May be scientists form other parts of
> the world have no opinion on that subject, or they do not do any taxonomic
> work and do not care, is EP accepted or not? I don think so. I think that
> most of them have no idea that we even discuss it here, because they do not
> have an Internet access. Some of them also do not have a computer.

Only about 75% of the 1266 current TAXACOM *subscribers* are in the US or
Western Europe.  Only 50% are in the US:  this is the lowest percentage I
have ever noticed on TAXACOM.  The Internet is dominated now by Americans
because we were the first to have widespread access, and participation by
people elsewhere closely follows the availability of the Internet in those
countries.

Here are some more numbers:

  Total number of users subscribed to TAXACOM: 1266
  Total number of countries represented:         49

  Country        Subscribers
  -------        -----------
  Argentina              3
  Australia             97