Electronic publication

Mon Mar 31 06:38:24 CST 1997

Well, I am convinced.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to permit
new names to come into existence via the internet or CD-ROM instead of
conventional print media.

A week ago, I posed several questions about just exactly WHY this change
should be permitted, specifically what problems it was designed to correct,
or what improvements it would provide.

The solitary response was that electronic publication was coming and we'd
better figure out how to do it.  IMHO, this is the moral equivalent of
saying, "Jeepers, dad, all the other kids are doing it.  Why can't I?"
Hardly compelling.

Before such a fundamental change in how we do business occurs, SOMEONE must
articulate our goals and objectives for the change.  Until I hear cogent
reasons for doing so, I will have to remain firmly against the idea.

Let me remind folks that my post addressed solely the "legal" (Code-covered)
creation of nomenclatural novelties: sp. nov.'s., comb. nov.'s, nom. nov.'s,
et cetera.  Making all other sorts of ecological and systematic information
available electronic poses no conceptual problems for me.

Thomas G. Lammers
Department of Botany                     Classification, Nomenclature,
Field Museum of Natural History          Phylogeny and Biogeography
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive       of the Campanulaceae
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:     lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
voice mail: 312-922-9410 ext. 317

"... library science is the foundation of all sciences ... we will survive
or founder depending on how well the librarians do their jobs."
                            -- Robert A. Heinlein