names in titles

Judy Howcroft jhowcroft at YORK.BIOSIS.ORG
Mon Mar 3 10:43:43 CST 1997

The following message, posted on behalf of Nigel Robinson, User Services
Manager, BIOSIS UK, is in reply to an individual message but provides
general information on the coverage of new names in BIOSIS' abstracting
and indexing services, which might be of interest to other users of Taxacom:

From:        nrobinson at york.biosis.org
To:            sfarmer at sabre.GOLDSWORD.COM
Subject:       Re: names in titles
Date:          Mon, 3 Mar 1997 10:28:42 GMT0

Dear Ms Farmer

With respect to your point regarding new names and their incorporation into
bibliographic databases such as Biological Abstracts, I would like to explain
how information is gathered for the BIOSIS range of services which includes
Biological Abstracts and Zoological Record, both of which record new taxonomic
names.  I cannot comment on the services of other information providers.

The BIOSIS databases are indexed by a dedicated, professional team of in house
graduate biologists who extract information from the whole item of literature,
not just the title and abstract.  Hence, the new names will be picked up
wherever they occur, at least for the BIOSIS services.

For Biological Abstracts, the author's title and abstract are included in the
bibliographic record but additional index entries are also added for significant
concepts (including animal names) found in the rest of the item.  In the
electronic versions of the database, these names then appear in the Added
Keywords field and the Concept Code is tagged to indicate the new taxon.

In Zoological Record, each taxonomic change (new name, new synonym etc.) is
separately indexed, again from the whole item.  These entries appear in the
Systematic Index of the printed product and the Systematics field of the
electronic versions complete with a taxonomic hierarchy.

I would suggest that Zoological Record is the primary resource for new animal
names due to the comprehensive coverage of each taxonomic change.  Plants,
bacteria, viruses etc. are covered by Biological Abstracts.

If you have any further questions or need more information, please contact me
again at the BIOSIS European Help Desk using the details below.

Regards

Nigel Robinson
User Services Manager, BIOSIS UK
Nigel J Robinson, BIOSIS European Help Desk
BIOSIS UK, 54 Micklegate, York, YO1 1LF, United Kingdom
Internet: helpdesk at york.biosis.org
Tel: +44 (0)1904 644269             Fax: +44 (0)1904 612793