Dandy Dime

Mon Mar 31 06:29:21 CST 1997

At 07:55 AM 03-30-97 -0700, JOSEPH E. LAFERRIERE wrote:

> Suppose  five  graduate  students  at  the  same
>college decided  to start  their own  journal, reviewing each
>other's papers.  Does this  count as  peer review?

It has happened.  The journal "Isleya", devoted grass and legume
systematics,  was started in the 1970's by several grad students at Iowa
State University.  Not sure how they handled reviews, or whether any
novelties were published there.  Not sure of its ultimate fate; perhaps some
of the principals are out there and could comment?

Thomas G. Lammers
Department of Botany                     Classification, Nomenclature,
Field Museum of Natural History          Phylogeny and Biogeography
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive       of the Campanulaceae
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:     lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
voice mail: 312-922-9410 ext. 317

"... library science is the foundation of all sciences ... we will survive
or founder depending on how well the librarians do their jobs."
                            -- Robert A. Heinlein