When did the fascination with phylogenetic trees begin?

Mon Mar 3 06:12:57 CST 1997

At 09:46 AM 02-25-97 -0500, warren frank lamboy wrote:
>To Taxacomers:  I am trying to determine how and when the great emphasis on
>constructing (implicitly or explicitly) evolutionary or phylogenetic trees
>of (plant) taxa came about.    Have
>there been any review articles published on the history of the use of
>evolutionary
>trees and phylogenies?  Thanks for any light you
>shed.  -  Warren

For an excellent historical review, I recommend Section Two (pp. 43-154) in:
Stuessy, T. F. 1990.  Plant Taxonomy: The Systematic Evaluation of
Comparative Data.  Columbia University Press, New York.

Thomas G. Lammers
Department of Botany                     Classification, Nomenclature,
Field Museum of Natural History          Phylogeny and Biogeography
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive       of the Campanulaceae
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:     lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
voice mail: 312-922-9410 ext. 317
fax:        312-427-2530

"What a big book ...  might be made with all that is known ...  And what a
much bigger book still with all that is not ..."

                                                                --- Jules Verne