Dandy Dime

Sun Mar 30 07:55:03 CST 1997

   Richard Fagerlund  is correct about the motivations behind
the Dandy  Dime story.  I hope  he doesn't mind me disclosing
that he  and I  discussed this  matter a couple of weeks ago.
The rough  draft was  disguised as  a personal,  starting off
"Attention Hot  Latin Lovers,"  with  the  rest  entirely  in
Latin. It  even had  the telephone  number in roman numerals.
The Dandy  Dime, however,  refused to  print this. The choice
was then  either revise  the ad or submit it to a publication
devoted entirely to personal ads. The anonymous author of the
note opted  for the  former simply because she loves the name
"Dandy Dime."
   There are  other ways  one could  sneak a name into print,
satisfying the rather vague requirements of the code. Even if
one considers  Dandy Dime  a newspaper, there are innumerable
magazines which  might print an ad like this. A magazine like
Better Homes  and Gardens  might possibly accept it, if it is
worded correctly,  or a  localized equivalent  such as Tucson
Lifestyle. Or  if one  were rather devious, one could write a
short story  for a  magazine devoted to creative writing. For
example, one  could write  about a  witch using  the  ancient
Latin curse  "Mammillaria volubilis! Folia viridia!" Assuming
the editors  of the  magazine do  not understand  Latin, they
might actually print this.
   Instead of  listing places  one CANNOT publish a new name,
the ICBN should list places one CAN publish it. And any terms
should be  carefully defined.  If one  were to  specify,  for
example,  that   a  new  name  should  be  in  a  "scientific
periodical," one  could not assume everyone agrees on what is
scientific. There  is a  myriad of  borderline  publications,
semi-popular magazines  published  by  botanical  gardens  or
gardening clubs or regional "Native Plant Societies." Indeed,
one  cannot   even  assume   everyone  will   agree  on  what
constitutes a  "periodical." I have heard some people suggest
publication be limited to "peer-reviewed" journals. Does this
include  pre-submission   review  such  as  in  Mycotaxon  or
Phytologia?  Suppose  five  graduate  students  at  the  same
college decided  to start  their own  journal, reviewing each
other's papers.  Does this  count as  peer review? One cannot
assume that everyone will agree.

--
Dr. Joseph E. Laferriere, 18 Maple Ave. #3, North Providence
RI 02911 USA   --- OR ---  Herbario, CEAMISH, Universidad