Scaevola L.

Nestor J. Cazzaniga ficazzan at [168.96.128.2]
Sun Mar 30 11:07:18 CST 1997

> Date:          Fri, 30 May 1997 12:48:58 GMT
> Subject:       Scaevola L.

>    Quelqu'un parmi vous pourrait-il me donner l'etymologie du nom de genre
> (phanerog.) :
>
> Scaevola L.

The Greek word skaios means 'left' and 'siniter', including the connotations
of threatening and unpleasant. It also means 'occidental': the west
end of Troy were "Scaeae Pylae", 'the occidental doors'.

Best wishes
                                   Nestor
.
infaust, funest,
> Jacques Melot, Reykjavik
> melot at itn.is

Dr. Nestor J. Cazzaniga
Departamento de Biologia, Bioquimica y Farmacia
Universidad Nacional del Sur
San Juan 670
8000 Bahia Blanca, Argentina
FAX: +54 91 55 20 05