re "saprophytic plants"

Thomas ODell odellt at UCS.ORST.EDU
Thu May 8 09:31:01 CDT 1997

Saprotrophy is probably an incorrect term with respect to higher plants.
Most so-called saprophytic plants are either parasites of of plants or
mycoheterotrophs (obtaining their carbon from mycorrhizal fungi). See the
recent (ca. 1993 -- 4) review by J. Leake in New Phytologist for an thorough
overveiw of the topic.