barcode info needed

Julian Humphries julian at UKANS.EDU
Thu May 29 16:49:34 CDT 1997

At 05:47 PM 5/29/97 -0300, you wrote:
>Edward Riley asked:
>And this reminded me; it's been some time since we last discussed the
>barcoding pros & cons here, but it was evident from that and earlier
>discussions that advances with Supertags and the like might eventually make
>tags the technology of choice over barcoding (being able to point a device
>at a stack of museum drawers and inventory all of the thousands of
>specimens in them instantly, a feat which has been claimed is possible for
>these tags, certainly has its appeal for time-saving) - has anyone here
>managed to experiment with these tags yet in an actual museum collection,
>or is it *still* something in the nebulous future? It would be nice to know
>if they're a practical alternative or not.

Last time I checked (~18 months ago) Supertags were still way to expensive.
 Our (museum) problem is that we need individually coded tags, costs would
be $3-$5 each and right now those only store about 95 bits.   Only when you
have 10,000 tags with all the same id do they get cheap.

Julian

Kansas University Natural History Museum
Digital Biodiversity Laboratory