exchange from HUMO

Dr. Joseph E. Laferriere joseph at IRIS.CEAMISH.UAEM.MX
Mon May 12 14:49:31 CDT 1997

   I received approximately 30 responses to my taxacom posting two weeks
ago concerning exchange material available from the HUMO herbarium in
Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. Nearly everyone who responded will receive
specimens.  Two points, however:

1) As I sort the collection, it is evident that my original estimate of 4000
specimens available for exchange is an underestimate by at least half.
Particularly strongly represented in the collection are Dalea, Marina,
Acacia, Amaranthus, Bursera, and assorted leguminous trees, but there are
many other specimens as well.

2) I have been informed that there is not a single papermill in Mexico
manufacturing acid-free paper. It must be imported from the US at ten
times the cost of acidic Mexican paper. Our accountant is objecting to
the idea of buying enough of this paper to clear up our backlog. Hence,
let me offer the following deal: exchange of specimens from HUMO in
return for acid-free paper (either mounting paper or label paper). Make
me an offer and tell me what taxa you would like from our collection.

Joseph Laferriere
Director del Herbario HUMO
CEAMISH, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos
62210 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
joseph at iris.ceamish.uaem.mx   or   josephL at aztec.asu.edu