function of heliocentric flowers

Robin Panza panzar at CLPGH.ORG
Wed May 14 15:13:16 CDT 1997

>I would like to solicit thoughts from listmembers about the functional purpose
>of heliocentric positioning of flowerheads.

I don't know whether I learned this or thought it up for myself, but I've long
assumed it was to attract pollinators.  The more light shining on the "front"
of the flower, the more will be reflected to insect eyes.  Many times, these
flowers also have circular bands of UV-reflecting colors, which we don't see
but many insects (including honeybees) do.  It creates a "bulls-eye" pattern
for insects to "zero in" on.

Robin K Panza                   panzar at clpgh.org
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA