ATBI "Self-Destructs" and what we do

John (Jack) Longino longinoj at ELWHA.EVERGREEN.EDU
Tue May 20 13:58:05 CDT 1997

> Jack Longino describes putting in-course morphotype descriptions etc.
> on the Web, and concludes:
>
> >Using this approach, it becomes essential that Web publication not be
> >viewed as official taxonomic publication.
>
> Why should the requirements of one practice pre-empt other practices?
> Why not expand the convention whereby an author may explicitly state
> that such-and-such a publication is not a formal taxonomic statement?

Una is right. I didn't mean to imply that official Web publication should
never be allowed. It just needs to be qualified, as she stated. In other
words, I wouldn't want to see some blanket criterion of publication such
that appearance on the Web = publication. That is what we have now for
print medium. In fact, taxonomic publication on the Web might actually
force us to have some kind of quality control as a component of our
criteria for publication (rather than just the ability to pay for
printing something).

John T. (Jack) Longino      longinoj at elwha.evergreen.edu
Lab I
The Evergreen State College