oil seed research material request

Elaine Chittenden chitt at GNDS.MSU.EDU
Thu May 29 15:47:06 CDT 1997

Dear taxacomers:

I'm forwarding this request to those interested in assisting.  Beal
Botanical Garden does not hold germplasm of any of the species requested below.

Thank you,  Elaine

REQUEST FOR PLANT MATERIAL FOR NEW OILSEED PROJECTS.

Contacts.

In replying to this request please contact directly either Dr. Ohlrogge
(P.I.) or Dr. Pollard.

Dr. John Ohlrogge, Dept. Botany and Plant Pathology, Michigan State
University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1312.
(517)-353-0611(office)
(517)-353-9399 (lab)
(517)-353-1926 (FAX)
E-mail: ohlrogge at pilot.msu.edu

May also contact Mike Pollard, at the same address.
(517)-355-5237
E-mail: pollard9 at pilot.msu.edu

Requirements.

In studying both the biochemistry and molecular genetics of seed oils we
have put together this botanical list, which represents species known to
contain some unique fatty acid and oil compositions.

Initially we would also ask for small amounts of mature seed, to confirm the
chemistries published in the literature, or extend the compositional
knowledge to related species.

Once we have identified potential collaborators, which is the purpose of
this search, we will discuss issues of harvest/shipping/collaborations etc.
It is likely that only one species per family will eventually be chosen to
sustain each project, but since factors such as ease of tissue harvest,
amount of tissue available, and quality of tissue extracts for biochemistry
and molecular genetics will have to be weighed to make the decision, we have
cast the search more broadly.

In the following list, if the species is not available but a species in the
same genus is, we will be interested in analyzing the seed to see if it is
an alternative source.

Botanical Listing.

Priority 1: Rosaceae: tribe Chrysobalaneae .

Chrysobalanus icaco, Coco Plum.  Native to coastal southern FL and Central
America.  Planted somewhat in the subtropical US.
Licania rigida.  Oiticia oil is obtained from this slow-growing tree.  It is
commercially harvested from wild stands in Brazil.
Licania arborea, Cacahuanache Oil, found in Mexico.
Also Licania crassifolia, Parinarium sherbroense (Po-yoak Oil), Parinarium
corymbosum and Parinarium  glaberrimum, found in Indonesia.

Priority 2: Euphorbiaceae.

Sapium sebiferum.  Chinese tallow tree.  Native to China, but cultivated in
TX.  Found north to zone 4.
Also Sapium discolor, Sapium japonicum.
Stillinga sylvatica.  Queen's Delight or Queen's Root.  Shrub.  Native from
FL to TX to VA.
Sebestiana lingustrina.  Native to S. USA (GA to LA, TX).  Located along
rivers and in swampy ground.  Shrub.  Flowers in late May or early June;
fruit begin to ripen mid-July.

Priority 3.

Bignoniaceae.

Cuspidaria pterocarpa.

Cruciferae.

Cardamine impatiens (Lady's Smock / Cuckoo Flower / Mayflower / Meadowcress
/ Bittercress).

Sapindaceae.

 Soapberries: generally trees, shrubs and vines; tropical and subtropical.
Koelreuteria bipinnata (K. integrifolio1a), Chinese Flame Tree (in Western
Garden Book).  Sub-tropical (CA, FL).
Also K. elegans, Flamegold tree, and K. paniculata, Goldenrain Tree or
Varnish Tree (in Western Garden Book).  As far north as zone 5.
Sapindus drummondii, Wild Chinatree or Jaboncillo, native to NM, CO, TX, OK,
AZ, MO.
Also S. saponana, S. trifolialus, S. emarginalus, Cupaniopsis anacardiodes,
Carrot Wood (in Western Garden Book), and Dodonaea viscosa, Hopseed Bush (in
Western Garden Book), native to AZ.

Salicaceae.

Populus lasiocarpa.
(This is the only project where seeds are not of  interest: bud scales are
required here).
Elaine Chittenden        Email:chitt at gnds.msu.edu
Collections Manager, W. J. Beal Botanical Garden, 412 Olds Hall,
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1047

(517)355-7750   fax: (517)353-4631