bidens tripartita or tripartitus?

Frederick J. Peabody fpeabody at SUNFLOWR.USD.EDU
Fri May 30 11:29:47 CDT 1997

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Karol Marhold wrote:

> Apologize for another boring nomenclatural question:
>
> In connection with the preparation of the Checklist of the
> Flora of Slovakia I am trying to solve the problem of the correct
> spelling of the epithet of "Bidens tripartita".
> I have consulted several papers which dealt recently with this
> genus and their authors mostly treated "Bidens" as feminine,
> (according to the botanical tradition - Art. 62.1. of the ICBN (?) )
> In such case, if I am correct, it should be "Bidens tripartita"
> There is, however, alternative opinion - following Art. 62.2.
> of the ICBN "Bidens" shoud be treated as compund generic
> name, and the gender of the last word "dens" is masculine
> and thus it shoud be "Bidens tripartitus"
>
> Could anybody help me?
>
> Thank you!
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Karol Marhold
> Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences
> Dubravska cesta 14, SK-842 23 Bratislava,Slovak Republic
> Tel.: (+421) 7 375840  Fax: (+42) 7 371948
> E-mail: botukmar at savba.savba.sk
> &
> Editor (Systematics) of the journal
> Folia Geobotanica & Phytotaxonomica (Praha)
> Editorial Office: Institute of Botany, Academy of Sciences of the
> Czech Republic, CZ-252 43 Pruhonice, Czech Republic
>
> ATTENTION!! Please note that the international telephone
> code of the Slovak Republic was changed from 42 to 421 on the
> 1st March 1997. (Czech Republic became 420).
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Although Latin nouns of the third declension whose nominative singular
end in "-s" are generally treated as feminine (I learned this as the s-o-x
rule), the noun "dens, dentis" is an exception and is masculine.

I vote for "Bidens tripartitus."

Frederick J. Peabody
Associate Professor of Botany
University of South Dakota