morphological terms

Chris Glasby c.glasby at NIWA.CRI.NZ
Fri Oct 31 11:28:10 CST 1997

In response to Olivier De Clerck's request for a term
'describing dichotomous branching where one axes becomes larger than
the other one' .... can I suggest simply 'subequal dichotomous
branching'. As an invertebrate biologist I also have the need to
describe branching patterns (eg. in polychaete branchiae) and I have
found useful Stearn's 1983 Botanical Latin which has a chapter on
Descriptive Terminology. Probably you can find a more specific and
appropriate term in the sections on ramifications and arrangement (of
leaves etc).
Does anyone know of any online glossaries of
morphological terms that covers branching patterns etc?
Dr Chris Glasby
National Institute for Water & Atmospheric Research
PO Box 14-901, Kilbirnie
Wellington, New Zealand
email: c.glasby at
phone: 64-4-386 0352; fax: 64-4-386 2153

More information about the Taxacom mailing list