Conceptual frames in taxonomy

Thomas Schlemmermeyer termites at USP.BR
Tue Sep 16 17:03:31 CDT 1997

Dear readers,

Surprisingly, after posting my last message, I received a feed-back by a
microbiologist, who is a member of the taxacom-list.
This leads me to post one more, even if not targeted, maybe, at least,
educated question:

In Insect taxonomy, there is a broad conceptual frame based on Hennig's
phylogenetic systematics and vicariance biogeography.
Hennig developped his methods by dealing with bisexual, more or less
separated reproduction complexes of the insect order Diptera.

Now my question: In what sense and up to which point, these methods make
sense in bacterial systematics as well?

Especially:
In insects characters, usually, are said to be transferred vertically,=20
from ancestor to descendant.
Only in rare cases are discussed horizontal character transfers which then
may show up in the cladistic analysis as homoplasy.

What about the situation in bacterial systematics?

Insect biogeography is supposed to be closely linked to geohistorical
events of separation of land masses etc.
Such approaches make sense in microbiology as well?

Very interested in an intensiv discussion of the topic presented I send
my best wishes,

=09=09=09Thomas
---
Thomas Schlemmermeyer
Museu de Zoologia, Universidade de S=E3o Paulo
Caixa Postal 42694
CEP 04299-970
S=E3o Paulo, SP, Brasil

Resid=EAncia: