electronics vs paper

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at UPS.EDU
Thu Sep 18 14:27:37 CDT 1997

Ross Hastings wrote:

"I must say that I find these arguments in favour of electronic publishing of
new taxa rather shortsighted in light of the ephemeral nature of electronic
data."

Whoa! I certainly wasn't implying "electronic publishing of new taxa" in
what I wrote, and I'm not sure others were, either. This was strictly a
measure to allow other workers access to a list of specimens examined, when
this couldn't be included in a published paper. I agree entirely with you
that this wouldn't be the appropriate medium for publication of new taxa.
But as an alternative to no lists of specimens available in any
medium--it's better than nothing.

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-756-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-756-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson at ups.edu
Tacoma, WA 98416
http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/museum.html