Myrsinaceae

Tue Sep 30 06:50:52 CDT 1997

At 05:00 PM 09-26-97 -0300, Marta Cusato wrote:
>Hello Taxacomers:
>
>We are curious about the correct name of Rapanea laetevirens Mez. what we
>consider is the rigth one, but in recent papers we have found that Myrsine
>laetevirens (Mez.) Arechav is also in use.

Rapanea is a segregate of Myrsine characterized by the staminal tube adnate
(vs. partly distinct) to corolla  and lack (vs. presence) of a style.  Some
authors consider that sufficient for a genus, others don't.

Thomas G. Lammers

Classification, Nomenclature, Phylogeny and Biogeography
of the Campanulaceae, s. lat.

Department of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:     lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
voice mail: 312-922-9410 ext. 317
fax:                312-427-2530

"One must remain aware of the
 real-world consequences of his philosophies."

                -- Phil Mole