Dogma

James Francis Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Tue Sep 30 10:09:31 CDT 1997

On Dennis Paulson's remarks on dogma (in response to others):

Here, here.

The dogma of science, as I see it, is self-referential; i.e., given
sufficient, critical testing, dogma itself can be challenged, and we
scientists expect it to be challenged.

We know what we think we know by virtue of the critical examination and
testing of hypotheses.  The supernatural is beyond the scope of this and
any other scientific forum.  The purpose of science, its practice, and
what we have gleaned from it is totally independent of any particular
mythology... including those of western religions.  The metaphysical has
no place in a rational discussion by definition.  Likewise, the
scientific has no relevance in areas where only faith is
required.  Religion and mythology have their place in society, but
not here.  Therefore, I suggest we stop wasting bandwidth and time on a
useless pursuit of the ethereal.  It  would be a shame to have to invoke a
moderator to ensure that the discussion of the science of taxonomy stays
scientific.

James Lyons-Weiler