Status of plant systematics

Richard Zander bryo at COMMTECH.NET
Mon Sep 8 07:02:28 CDT 1997

Una Smith wrote:

 > Some recent papers by John P. Huelsenbeck address the difference
between
 > the shortest tree(s) and the true tree.
 >
 >         Una Smith
 >         Department of Biology
 >         Yale University

 Recent papers on this subject by Huelsenbeck and his peer, invoking
 Bayesian analysis and maximum likelihood, compare the relative
strengths
 of likelihood values and posterior probability values in order to
select
 best hypotheses. Even though posterior probability values of such best
 hypotheses are incredibly low, no one has really looked at them and
said
 with astonishment, like Larson's cow: "My God! It's grass! We've been
 eating grass!"

 Richard H. Zander, Buffalo Museum of Science
 1020 Humboldt Pkwy, Buffalo, NY 14211 USA bryo at commtech.net