Status of plant systematics

Barry M. OConnor bmoc at UMICH.EDU
Mon Sep 8 11:35:16 CDT 1997

At 10:25 AM 9/8/97, Una Smith wrote:

>As Richard Zander emphasizes, the true tree is usually NOT the shortest
>tree.  Thus, I think it is inappropriate to propose a formal revision
>of some group's classification merely on the basis of having found one
>or more shortest trees that differ from conventional wisdom!

Thank goodness we can now actually find the TRUE tree and don't have to
worry about those old fashioned HYPOTHESES anymore!  And isn't it great
that truth = conventional wisdom??  I thought we were actually trying to do
SCIENCE here.

Barry M. OConnor                phone: (313) 763-4354
Museum of Zoology               FAX: (313) 763-4080
University of Michigan          e-mail: bmoc at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079  USA