More hybrids in cladistics

Harvey E. Ballard, Jr. ballardh at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Fri Sep 19 08:01:14 CDT 1997

Regarding the effects of hybrids in deriving phylogenies via cladistic
methodology, Lucinda McDade published two very fine empirical studies--and
revealed some surprises that conflicted with current expectations.

These are:
1990.  Hybrids and Phylogenetic Systematics I. Patterns of Character
Expression in Hybrids and Their Implications for Cladistic Analysis.
Evolution 44 (6): 1685 (starting page)

and
1992.  Hybrids and Phylogenetic Systematics II. The Impact of Hybrids on
Cladistic Analysis.  Evolution 46 (5): 1329 (starting page)

Pardon the incomplete pagination reference, but I was lazy and searched
CARL Uncover for the citations rather than hunting down my own copies!

Harvey E. Ballard, Jr., Assistant Professor
Department of Environmental and Plant Biology
Porter Hall
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(614) 593-4659 (office & lab phone)