More hybrids in cladistics

James Francis Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Fri Sep 19 07:42:15 CDT 1997

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Harvey E. Ballard, Jr. wrote:

> Regarding the effects of hybrids in deriving phylogenies via cladistic
> methodology, Lucinda McDade published two very fine empirical studies--and
> revealed some surprises that conflicted with current expectations.
>
> These are:
> 1990.  Hybrids and Phylogenetic Systematics I. Patterns of Character
> Expression in Hybrids and Their Implications for Cladistic Analysis.
> Evolution 44 (6): 1685 (starting page)
>
> and
> 1992.  Hybrids and Phylogenetic Systematics II. The Impact of Hybrids on
> Cladistic Analysis.  Evolution 46 (5): 1329 (starting page)
>
> Pardon the incomplete pagination reference, but I was lazy and searched
> CARL Uncover for the citations rather than hunting down my own copies!

        I saw Linda's talk at the Tree of Life symposium, and I
        can applaud the effort because she is asking, in my opinion,
        the right kind of question: what are the observable consequences
        of reticulation on the tree we get?

        In fact, that symposium was buzzing with fold asking similar
        questions.
        JLW