creationist debates

WILLIAM F ADAMS William.F.Adams at SAW02.USACE.ARMY.MIL
Tue Sep 30 13:11:03 CDT 1997

     Sylvia,

     Yours is an excellent reply - one that restrikes a bell heard
     throughtout Europe in the late 19th century. Once science usurps
     religion in a society, its system of values is left without foundation
     and nihilism is the inevitable result. It needs new values, based in
     science, if it is to escape the inevitable destruction that nihilism
     will bring.

     This issue was explored at great length by Frederich Nietzsche and his
     works still remain the best available on this subject.  One reason
     that we Americans seem to lag behind in this field may be that his
     works were not translated into English until the 1960's.  Unlike many
     philosophical works, his are emminently readable. Try "The Geneology
     of Morals" and "Twilight of the Idols" for starters. From there, move
     on to "Thus Spake Zarathustra."  Its fascinating and thought provoking
     material.

     If we, as scientists, are working for the benefit of mankind, we need
     to be aware of the ramifications of our discipline on the totality of
     man's needs - including the need for the mystical and/or spiritual.

     Bill Adams