"Religion" is a broad topic

William A. Hayes bhayes at DSU.DELTAST.EDU
Tue Sep 30 09:38:16 CDT 1997

One note I have not seen on this thread which I learned very early to
take as a warning from whomever... :)

In the Old Testament, Book of Genesis...
Chapter 1 refers to 6 days of making things and one day of rest.
Chapter 2 begins with "in THE DAY" that God created these things... !

If that kind of contradiction within the first page or two of the Bible
isn't enough to warn people about literal interpretation, I don't know
what is.

On a personal level, as an adult I have no problems with a coexistence of
a "thoughtful" approach to religion and a "thoughtful" approach to
science within myself.... although I had a lot a trouble for awhile when
a high school teacher (a chemist) told me that if I was going to believe
in evolution then I would have to become an atheist. What an absolute
load of bovine excrement to drop on a 15 year old's head! Luckily, I grew
out of it over the next few years.

Best wishes,
Bill

William A. Hayes, II, Ph.D.   |   If you follow your bliss, you put yourself
Professor of Biology          |  on a kind of a track that has been there
P.O.Box 3234                  |  the whole while, waiting for you, and the
Delta State University        |  life you ought to be living is the one you
Cleveland, MS 38733           |  are living.  --- Joseph Campbell
ph: 601-846-4247          \ _____                    ____
fax: 601-846-4016             |   \_____      _____/      \
email: bhayes at dsu.deltast.edu |    __    \^^/     __       |