inch/zoll and laurel leaves

Alexey V. Kuprijanov Q at TINEA.USR.PU.RU
Fri Sep 5 00:43:23 CDT 1997

Dear fellow taxacomers,

Studying 19 century literature on insects collecting techniques,
I faced two problems which I was unable to resolve.

1. How long is the 'German inch' (Zoll)?

2. In the United Kingdom, the laurel leaves were extensively used
   in killing-jars and boxes. Though British entomologists never
   indicated more definitly the taxonomic position of the poisonous
   plant they used, I supposed that that they used leaves
   of _Laurus_. However, their German colleagues, translating a
   paper by H.T.Stainton, enclosed in brackets the name _Laurocerasus_.
   Does it mean that in the UK-entomologists used _Laurus_ while
   Germans used _Laurocerasus_ or, that the english name laurel is
   equally applicable to both plants?

Yours, Alexey

Alexey V. Kuprijanov            (Lepidoptera: Incurvarioidea)
Institute for the History of Science and Technology
Univrsitetskaya emb. 5
St. Petersburg 199034
R U S S I A                      e-mail: Q at TINEA.USR.PU.RU