Probabilities on phylogenetic trees

James Francis Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Mon Sep 8 08:12:45 CDT 1997

In case anyone following this thread does not but wants to understand
likelihood theory, for more information on how likelihood is supposed to
work (i.e., the basics), see

http://www.sciencemag.org/feature/data/phylo/coin/coin.html

My reference to this information should not be conflated with support of
likelihood ratio tests (LRTs) or the use of likelihood to simultaneously
estimate more than one parameter unless Bayesian priors are rock-solid
(i.e., perfectly known) :) .

James

  \  /   /    \  /           JAMES LYONS-WEILER           ______________
   \/   /      \/                                        |..............|
    \  /       /                                         |..............|
     \/       /              DOCTORAL PROGRAM IN         |..............|
      \      /               ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, AND     |...***........|
       \    /                CONSERVATION BIOLOGY        |..*****.......|
        \  /                                             |.******.......|
         \/                  1000 VALLEY ROAD/186        |********......|
    ______________           THE UNIVERSITY OF            --------------
   | will perform |          NEVADA, RENO
   |  statistical |          RENO, NEVADA 89512-0013
   | phylogenetic |
   | analyses for |         "(Biology) is not religion; if it were, we'd
   |    food      |          have a much easier time raising money."
    --------------                       -Leon Lederman

                EXPLORATORY ANALYSIS OF PHYLOGENETIC DATA
                RASA 2.1 SOFTWARE FOR THE MAC
                Download @
                http://loco.biology.unr.edu/archives/rasa/rasa.html