Web citations

Clifford Wetmore Clifford.M.Wetmore-1 at TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Sep 17 18:13:57 CDT 1997

Taxacomers,
    There is a major problem that has been developing in monographic
studies. The editors of jounals will not let us cite many specimens seen. In
a recent case I was told I could cite only two specimens per state in common
species. To me the list of cited specimens is over half of the value of a
monograph! I can look at the cited specimens and check the herbarium for
dupicates so I know what the monographer means. I have often had project
contracts the required searching the literature for species records of
lichens in National Parks, states, counties, etc. Recent abbreviated
citations lists don't help much in any of these. One monographer doesn't
borrow any material and only cites his own collections.
     Now, I can put data bases or list of all speciemns seen on the Web but
how does anyone ever cite a Web page? Is it a valid citation? If I look at
someone's Web page and see that they have recorded these X species from X
park, can I cite the page or do I just have to ignore that valuable
information? The citations can be made available on the Web but why do it if
noone can use it and cite it?  Any suggestions?

Cliff Wetmore
Curator of Cryptogams
Univ. of Minnesota