creationist debates

sylvia hope sylvia.hope at CASMAIL.CALACADEMY.ORG
Tue Sep 30 02:47:16 CDT 1997

          The religious endeavor needs the understanding and
          communication with scientists, not their contempt.  For some
          obscure reason God was set up as the authority and guardian
          of morality and connected to the idea of solace and
          everlasting life.  Evolution undermined all this and the
          ancient foundation of the social order - and what have we
          got?  Better medicine is not enough.  Clever arguments that
          science has led to material gains leave the spirit empty -

          I think some scientists are so fundamentally worried about
          the emptiness out there underscored by their daily endeavors
          that they express their fear as contempt for the solace of
          religion.  Did Darwin say something about the expression of
          an emotion by the display of its opposite?  And there was S.
          Freud with reaction formation.

          There are programs of scientific research into ethics and
          morality - has anyone asked - why has the belief in a god
          been such a powerful force in human history?  How did it
          start?  Don't tell me it's a plot to control the masses.

          Are such studies even more deconstructionist for religion?