creationism, crétin & gauche

Neal Evenhuis neale at BISHOP.BISHOP.HAWAII.ORG
Tue Sep 30 09:05:44 CDT 1997

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, H.M. BURDET wrote:

> I don't know if every exchange on this list on the subject of creationism
> is sound, but I do know that French for left-handed is "gaucher" and not
> "gauche".=20

True, but the word "gauche" =3D "left" has evolved in English to be a=20
derogatory term (my intention of the pun).

> As for cr=E9tin, the French word derives from the German
> "Kreidling", an allusion to the white chalky colour of the skin in
> individuals with hypothyroidism.

Not correct. Please see the following for an excellent history of the=20
word.=20

http://www.kusm.montana.edu/wordsmith/words/0026.html

It may be of interest to this thread that cretin was originally=20
intended as a "positive" term. It (like gauche and sinister) has=20
unfortunately evolved into a derogatory meaning in the English language.

Cheers,

Neal Evenhuis