Hybrid Speciation

Don McAllister mcall at SUPERAJE.COM
Sat Apr 18 07:49:15 CDT 1998

Hybridisation per se does not indicate that the two entities are conspecific.
Hybrids can be sterile.  Hybridisation with fertile offspring can be so rare
that there is no significant genetic interchange between the two species which
are thus able to maintain their distinctions.  Hybridisation may occur when the
environment is severely disturbed by humans or where the numbers of one species
are so depleted by humans that there is little opportunity to find a mate of
the same species, but be absent in undisturbed areas.  About 1% of the sucker
family, Catostomidae (a fish family) are saide to be hybrids in the U.S., but
the species remain distinct.

don

--
Don E. McAllister             /& Canadian Centre for Biodiversity
Ocean Voice International          /Canadian Museum of Nature
 (or: ah194 at freenet.carleton.ca) Tel: (613) 264-8986, Fax: (613) 264-9204