No subject

John Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Wed Apr 22 15:30:15 CDT 1998

To: Peter Rauch <anamaria at GRINNELL.BERKELEY.EDU>
From: jrg13 at psu.edu (John Grehan)
Subject: Re: Evolution versus Creationism Discussion
Bcc:
Response to Peter Rauch on NAS evolution report.

As perceived by Peter Rauch, it was not my intention to set up an evolution
versus creation debate. I did not, however, intend to represent the NAS
treatment of evolution as non-science. My emphasis, perhaps obscured by
the creation reference, was that the science of evolution was stronger on a
doctrine of beliefs rather than analytical methodology. In my opinion, for what
it is worth, that it is this emphasis that makes the teaching of evolution so
problematic, and such an easy target for creationists (oops mentioned that
word again).

I agree that there is a need for a coherent teaching of evolution, but the
document did not achieve that for me (others feeling different notwithstanding).
 If I have more time I will try to make some specific comments rather than
these generalities.

I appreciate Peter Rauch bringing this to general attention as I find it
difficult
to keep track of everything that is going on in this field.

John Grehan